Civil Engineer/THM-Process Numerical Modeler
INTERA - Swiss Branch
INTERA is seeking a junior- to mid-level skilled and self-motivated modeler with expertise in coupled thermo-hydro-mechanical (THM) processes to be located in our Wettingen office in Switzerland.
INTERA is a geoscience and engineering consulting firm founded in 1974 and headquartered in Austin, Texas, with offices across the USA and in Europe. Our employees say that what they value most at INTERA is our corporate culture. We value a good work-life balance, and our employees are our most valuable assets. INTERA is proud of maintaining a reputation for excellence, and we empower our employees to accomplish their best.
The primary responsibility of this position will be the coupled modeling of coupled THM processes under single-phase as well as two-phase flow conditions under the direction of INTERA’s senior modelers. Duties include the development and application of coupled THM numerical models, THM data analysis, as well as preparing reports and presenting results to clients. The position will be a part of the Waste Isolation Division. The primary focus will be the THM- process modeling for the deep geological disposal of radioactive waste in low-permeable formations in France and Switzerland. Additional modeling tasks will be required for projects of CO2 sequestration and environmental cleanup in France, USA, and Japan. Because of INTERA’s worldwide business activities, the position envisions the successful candidate as being part of INTERA’s multi-office and multi-discipline teams of geologists, hydrologists, geochemists, system modelers and engineers.
- Ph.D. degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering with emphasis on geomechanics and modeling;
- One to five years of applicable experience, with emphasis on modeling of coupled THM processes in deep geological formations. Proven experience and understanding of two-phase flow processes is required. Proven experience and understanding of deep geological disposal of radioactive waste in low-permeable formations (clay-rich or equivalent to those considered in the Swiss and French national programs) is desirable;
- Knowledge of numerical methods, THM modeling codes, interfaces and other modeling tools;
- Willingness to travel abroad; and to stay and work in France and the USA for up to several weeks depending on client and marketing needs;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and French;
- The ability to work independently to complete technical work;
- The ability to be an effective member of project teams.
All interested candidates must apply through the Careers page located on INTERA’s web site.