The Biomass Desk within Vattenfall Energy Trading is looking for a Biomass Trader with a track record of creating value in a commercial physical commodity trading environment to perform commercial tasks in a rapidly growing global merchant biomass portfolio.
The Biomass Trader’s key responsibility is adding value through proactive identification of market opportunities and commercial optimisation of existing asset backed commodity contracts, including storages, so that maximum value creation is ensured while executing the various options available in the portfolio, delivering best-in-class service for Vattenfall’s internal clients and our 3rd party customers and trading counterparties.
Your job as a Biomass Trader
- Purchase biomass products for internal Vattenfall demand as well as for existing and new 3rd party customers;
- Market biomass products and structures to 3rd parties for spot as well as long-term;
- Develop new flows in products such as woodchips and residential wood pellets;
- Maintain existing key accounts whilst continuously improving relationships in the biomass markets through regular communication with existing and potential new market participants and service providers;
- Create maximum value for Vattenfall and its customers through optimisation of embedded commodity contract flexibility in a continuously changing market environment;
- Initiate and maintain relevant sustainability standards certifications and compliance (ENplus, FSC, SBP, BSL, etc.);
- Manage and improve the quality, cost and efficiency of cargo movements and storages;
- Work closely with counterparties to coordinate and organize optimal shipment of goods;
- Manage the allocation of goods to counterparties and coordinate the incoming stock and loading schedules;
- Manage and optimise biomass stock inventories and transport to internal and external customers/receivers;
- Monitor freight and logistics costs and constantly making suggestions for increased efficiency and cost savings.
Your profile as a Biomass Trader
- Master’s degree and 2-5 years of experience or commercial exposure to procuring and trading biomass (or related products, e.g. agricultural-/bulk commodities);
- Experience from working within the energy commodity industry is a plus;
- Ability to focus on value creation through utilisation of portfolio flexibility;
- Experience and good understanding of physical commodity supply chains; knowledge of contract execution processes is a plus;
- Experience working with physical commodities, trading counterparties, certification bodies and ship owners;
- Good working knowledge of commodity trading, portfolio-and storage optimisation;
- Excellent English communication skills;
- Strong analytical skills; high proficiency in Excel is a plus;
- Good at collating, analysing and interpreting data, and presenting information clearly and concisely;
- Team player, whilst being comfortable working independently and taking ownership of work tasks and processes;
- Well-organised and methodical approach to achieving results;
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meeting deadlines;
- Negotiation skills and eye for details.