Civil Superintendent - Wylfa
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Assigned to Menter Newydd JV construction organization in a Civil Supervision role. Responsible for planning activities, including civil construction cost and schedule development during the pre-construction planning period of the project. Assists to define construction execution methodologies, indirect work operations support, and project contracting strategy to deliver civil construction of the NPP.
Following mobilisation to site (circa 2020/2021), directs civil operations within assigned area or buildings. Supervises and directs craft activities, subordinate superintendents and subcontractors, as assigned. Ensures assigned construction operations and subcontractors performance are in compliance with Safety, Quality, technical specifications and within schedules and budget. Performs general functions inherent in all supervisory field positions.
- Develops level 2 & 3 civil earthworks, concrete, and structural steel construction schedule details in support of the project construction execution plan (2 unit ABWR project). The civil schedule will confirm the overall construction critical path and contract schedule for the Wylfa Newydd Project;
- Provides input and works with U.K. subcontractors to agree unit rates, indirect work support operations, equipment, material and tool requirements and costs;
- Assists with determining optimum construction execution methodologies to deliver civil construction of the NPP.
Construction Execution Responsibilities (following mobilisation to site, circa 2020/2021):
- Responsible for field construction operations within assigned discipline or area. Safely directs assigned construction work in accordance with Bechtel’s safety program;
- Determines FNM supervision, Subcontract, & manual staffing requirements. Coordinates established area operational plans. Schedules work to be performed and reviews work accomplished by each craft. Monitors work activities, ensures the quality of work performed;
- Coordinates with Field Engineering to ensure the most current design document is used to complete the work and that all design changes are approved prior to implementation;
- Approves subcontractor and direct hire time records using established automated tools;
- Supervises and directs subordinate personnel and craftsmen in construction activities within assigned area;
- Monitors crane, equipment, & tool usage on the site. Prepares Field Material Requisitions for tools and consumables and ensures that the crafts have the tools they require to be productive;
- Monitors the activities of subcontractors to ensure compliance with specifications and schedules;
- Coordinates activities with other disciplines or areas, and Owner Scope activities as instructed by construction management;
- Performs employee reviews and identifies Training and Development opportunities for subordinate personnel;
- Monitor and enforces job site work rule compliance;
- Ensures that all United Kingdom, Bechtel, and project codes, requirements and standards are being complied within assigned area of responsibility.
- Knowledge of NPP Construction preferred;
- Civil discipline construction planning experience;
- Large scale project construction delivery experience (1B£ +);
- Knowledge of supervisory functions relating to civil field construction activities;
- Working knowledge of unionized labour;
- Demonstrated leadership in a team-based environment;
- Knowledge of project-specific environmental compliance requirements. General awareness of environmental laws;
- Knowledge of government compliance standards;
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s “Zero Accident” safety program;
- Familiarity with current industry quality standards;
- Knowledge of U.K. labour laws and issues;
- Experience working with, supervising and administering U.K. subcontractors;
- Knowledge of the use of subcontracts, and the contractor and subcontractor’s responsibilities contained in subcontract documents.
Knowledge is normally acquired through:
- A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline; OR
- Specialized courses in construction technology and management; AND
- Work experience leading to a thorough understanding of the knowledge described above.