IAEA - International Atomic Energy Agency
Reporting to the Deputy Director General for Safeguards, The Director of the Division of Technical and Scientific Services has overall responsibility for strategic planning and management of all Safeguards equipment, including nuclear and other measurement systems and containment and surveillance techniques. The Director contributes to safeguards effectiveness and efficiency by ensuring the effective and efficient management of the safeguards equipment required by the Divisions of Operations through all lifetime phases. The Director provides authoritative guidance on the definition ad implementation of technical solutions related to technical and scientific services and ensures robust departmental oversight of issues related to health, safety and radiation protection.
The Director is:
- an experienced leader, providing strategic direction and motivation to the Division, promoting good performance and teamwork and creating an environment where staff can develop their skills and share knowledge;
- an accomplished advisor and coordinator, providing advice to the DDG on issues associated with strategy and policy, and support to other Directors in strategy development within areas of his / her expertise; and
- an effective manager of the human and financial resources assigned to the Division.
Functions/Key Results Expected
Lead the Division of Technical and Scientific Services, providing direction and guidance to staff, and establishing and monitoring standards of excellence in performance, in the Division's programme areas:
- definition and management of equipment development and engineering activities to meet quality and safeguards requirements;
- systems and applications engineering of safeguards equipment;
- procurement, testing, supply, inventory control and maintenance of safeguards equipment and supplies;
- development and provision of documentation, procedures, instrumentation methods and techniques, and;
- oversight of all matters relating to office logistics and health and safety and radiation protection.
As an active member of the Department's senior management team, contribute vision and technical expertise to the formulation of safeguards policies, strategic planning and development of innovative approaches to strengthening the efficiency and effectiveness of the safeguards system, and implement such policies at the Divisional level.
Establish and promote implementation of Departmental policy and strategy at the Divisional level, including knowledge preservation and growth, and quality management.
Lead and manage the human and financial resources assigned to the Division in an effective and efficient manner, including the planning and assignment of resources, the implementation of planned activities and assessment of the outcome.
Competencies and Expertise
- Planning and Organizing: Sets clearly defined objectives for the Department/Division in line with the priorities of the Agency. Works toward Agency-wide efficiencies with a view to strengthening and harmonizing planning systems and capacities at the Departmental/Divisional level;
- Communication: Promotes an environment of open communication within and outside of the Agency, ensuring that sensitive information is protected. Inspires staff at all levels through his/her communication;
- Achieving Results: Sets the overall direction for the Departmental/Divisional goals, and promotes a results based management culture that focuses on the achievement of programme results in an effective and efficient manner;
- Teamwork: Motivates and empowers staff, and fosters a collaborative approach across the Department/Division and the Agency as a whole. Acts as a role model when handling disagreements.
- Change Management Creates an open climate fostering creativity, innovation and acceptance. Sets the agenda for change and foresees the impact of change on his/her Department/Division;
- Judgement/decision making Ensures that the judgements and decisions that are taken promote the Agency’s strategic goals, the one-house approach, and are in full compliance with the Agency’s regulations and rules;
- Client orientation Promotes an attitude of valuing clients. Advocates for the inclusion of client interests and needs in programme planning and decision making;
- Technical/scientific credibility Demonstrates vision, expertise and resourcefulness in developing strategies, seizing good opportunities, mastering challenges and risks, and addressing issues relevant to the programme goals;
- Leading and supervising Serves as a role model to managers as well as to staff members in general. Demonstrates leadership, inspires others and provides clear direction to achieve the Agency’s mandate and priorities. Motivates and empowers staff, and recognizes individual and team contributions to the Agency’s success.
- Safeguards: Containment and Surveillance Solid understanding of C&S systems, equipment and approaches;
- Safeguards: Non-destructive Assay Experience with equipment and systems used to support verification activities;
- Safeguards: Nuclear Fuel Cycle/Nuclear Facilities A thorough understanding of the nuclear fuel cycle (NFC) and the application of safeguards measures within NFC facilities;
- Safeguards: Safeguards System, Advanced Proven understanding of nuclear safeguards within an international environment.
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
- Master's Degree - Nuclear science, nuclear engineering or other relevant degree;
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience, of which at least 5 have been at a senior level;
- Extensive experience of equipment and technologies used in material control, in particular in safeguards, including knowledge of basic nuclear facility performance, and their interrelationship within the fuel cycle, as well as the types of instrumentation and approaches required in drawing safeguards conclusions;
- Extensive international or national experience in nuclear material control and nuclear safeguards or in fields of direct relevance to the above responsibilities;
- Proven track record of excellent leadership and experience in managing staff and financial resources, including the ability to lead effectively and to motivate large work teams in a multicultural environment.